Friday, October 18, 2013

Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them. -Lemony Snicket

It is Teen Read Week and in celebration I collaborated with an 8th grade Language Arts teacher to introduce students to Shelfari.  This is not not, but if you have not checked out this Web 2.0 tool (powered by Amazon) for book lovers I hope you will enjoy using it as much as me.

  Good Reads is another popular source out there that has similar features. I have accounts in both because I enjoy to compare what is out there. Good Reads has an app that is connected to my eReader app that lets me instantly share what I just read.  

Thanks to a library list serve I am on I learned about a very awesome site for younger readers to share their reading as well called Bilbliobasium and if you didn't know about it, check it out. I am using it with my daughter and she is loving the challenges I set up for her.

I wish this tool would have been around when I was getting my masters degree and making binders and filling in spreadsheets to keep track of all the books I read.

The students created accounts and put the book they were reading on their virtual shelf. (And of course those tech savvy ones had their picture uploaded and changed before we could get around to all of them.) They also followed me and we sent them an invitation to a group we created to share our books on.

Our plan is as the students finish their books they will add them to their shelf and the group shelf for a virtual one stop shop to book recommendations when they need them.

There is also a feature to create discussions about books so this will be a place to ask questions and explore more about what others are reading. With just a few clicks a book spin on social networking has started!

A BIG shout out to Mrs. Wood and her classes for taking the time to have me in to do this. I cannot wait to see what happens when the pages come to an end and our group shelf fills up! Click back on the same 'book' channel in May to see what we learned.

Before you close the page what are some ways you keep track of what you have read or promote reading with teens?

http://www.digsdigs.com/cool-minimalist-bookshelf-to-read-it/




No comments:

Post a Comment